Flower Care Guide
Tips to Extend Bloom Life
- Start with a clean vase and fill with water at room temperature or a just a touch warmer.
- Make sure to remove all lower leaves from flowers so there won’t be any in the water.
- Cut about and inch or a little more off the stems at an angle while they are under water.
- Place your vase away from direct sunlight which may cause flowers to wilt prematurely.
- Change the water every other day and re-cut the stems each time for a longer display.
- To really keep your bouquet as fresh as can be, store in the fridge overnight making sure to remove apples and other fruit that emit ethylene gas which can cause flowers to wilt prematurely.
These everyday items from around the house may help extend your blooms:
- Sugar provides some nourishment and promotes opening of blooms. Add two tbsp of sugar into about of quart of water.
- White Vinegar inhibits the growth of bacteria and keeps flowers fresher longer. ADD two tbsp of white vinegar to quart and stir in well.
- Daffodils secrete a substance that kills other flowers when in the same vase so keep them separate!
Do you have a tried and true method to increase vase life? We’d love to learn what has worked for you. We’ll be putting a few recommendations to the test this season and will share our results!